By Parks & Recreation
It’s time for a little Minnesota Winter Fun! Grab your skates!
Join us at The Central Park Ice Skating Loop (a refrigerated outdoor skate loop) is open for the season, skating is free to the public; skate rentals available for $6.00.
Our non-refrigerated outdoor skating rinks at Kerber, Gleason, Weaver Lake, Maple Grove Middle School, and Cedar Island are officially open. Ice conditions are not ideal but should improve. Elm Creek, Boundary Creek and Donahue North will remain closed until maintenance staff has a chance to improve ice conditions.
Participants are encouraged to contact the weather information line at 763-494-5959 for continuous updates on the non-refrigerated outdoor skating rinks.
By Human Resources
The Human Resources Department offers job opportunities on our website with an online application system which makes it easy for job applicants to set up an account and use your application multiple times by updating it for each position. To apply for a job, visit Current Job Openings, choose the position, and click on the “Apply” button. Online applications are stored on a secure site. You can be sure your information will be kept confidential; only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
If you are interested in a job opportunity which is not currently open, fill out a Job Interest card and check the categories you are interested in. You will receive an email when a position opens up in your specified category.
Be sure to check out our Current Volunteer Opportunities where you’ll find plenty of chances to volunteer in the City of Maple Grove in various capacities and interests you may have!
By Community Development
What’s going on in Community Development? As we say goodbye to what seemed like a short Fall and hello to Winter, I’m hoping for a beautiful snowy landscape for all of us to enjoy. As I peek over my shoulder I can see the new Central Park open. I’m sure the Ice Skating Loop will be a big hit this winter.
Here are a few new commercial developments coming to Maple Grove currently being considered:
- Kiddiegarten: This is a proposal to construct an 11,600 s.f. daycare center and an 9,000 s.f. commercial building.
- The Village at Arbor Lakes: This is a mixed-use development that envisions a mixture of residential and commercial uses at the NE quadrant of Elm Creek Blvd. and Hemlock Lane. Look for updates on this proposal.
Here are a few new residential developments coming to Maple Grove currently being considered:
- The Enclave on Rush Creek: This is a proposal to develop property into 66 single-family detached residential lots and one community pool.
- The Enclave at Dunlavin Woods: This is a proposal to develop property into 29 single-family detached residential lots.
A good resource to get information directly e-mailed to you about the different Residential and Commercial projects that are going forward to the Planning Commission and City Council is to E-Subscribe to our Agendas and Minutes. Our Agendas/Minutes are e-mailed out twice a month. Click here to sign up. There are other topics to sign-up for as well.
Dick Edwards, Community Development Director
Please contact the Maple Grove Assessor’s Office to file a homestead application or a relative homestead application on or before December 15, 2015 if one of the following situations applies to you:
- You purchased a residence in Maple Grove in the past year and you or a qualifying relative occupy the property for homestead purposes on December 1, 2015; or
- You or a qualifying relative occupy a Maple Grove residence for homestead purposes on December 1, 2015 and the property was previously classified as non-homestead.
In order to qualify for a relative homestead; the qualifying relative must be the property owner’s parents, children, grandparents, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews, including those related by marriage.
The homestead status of your property may have property tax implications. Please feel free to contact the assessor’s office if you have any questions related to the homestead status of your property.
If you should sell, move or for any reason no longer qualify for the homestead classification on your property, you are required to notify the assessor’s office within 30 days of the change in your homestead status.
City of Maple Grove Assessing Department Contact Information:
Street Address: 12800 Arbor Lakes Parkway, Maple Grove, MN 55369
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1180, Maple Grove, MN 55311-6180
Phone Number: (763) 494-6250
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
On Wednesday, November 4, 2015, Captain Lindquist and Crime Prevention Officer Todd Strege, as well as representatives from Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, and Osseo police departments received ‘Coats for Kids’ which were donated by the Knights of Columbus.
Each agency received a variety of coats for boys and girls that we will distribute to children in need within our own community.
Maple Grove received 27 coats (15 boy, 12 girl). Maple Grove DARE officers will ensure that the coats are distributed to kids who do not have them.
Thank you Knights of Columbus!
In October staff appraisers from the Assessing Department will begin the process of reviewing property improvements associated with outstanding building permits that were issued over the past year. Any new improvements or remodeling will be valued for the 2016 assessment, property taxes payable in 2017. If work related to a building permit is not complete, it may be partially assessed until the work is fully completed. When our staff appraisers conduct field inspections and visit homes or businesses, they possess and will display a City issued photo identification.
Tim Mitchell, City Assessor
By Parks & Recreation
Save 15% on memberships during our November 1 – 10, 2015 membership sale!
The Community Center is the perfect place to spend time with your friends and family all year long! Select from the All Building membership for all recreational areas or the Pool only membership. Now available is a Pickleball only membership! The Pickleball membership gives you access to play pickball at the Maple Grove Community Center and at the Community Gyms during open pickleball times.
$175.00 – Resident
$195.00 – Non-Resident
For prices and more information about memberships check out our website or call Chris at 763-494-6508.
Domestic violence is a crime in which one family member or intimate partner (current or past) engages in abusive behavior against another in order to gain or maintain power and control in the relationship. This violence can be actual or threatened use of physical, sexual, or psychological actions and affects not only the intended victim but also family, friends, and associates of the victim. The repercussions of domestic violence can be felt throughout a community.
There are three key themes for the month: Mourn. Celebrate. Connect. 1) Mourning those who have died because of domestic violence, 2) celebrating those who have survived, and 3) connecting those who work to end violence.
If you or someone you know is the victim of domestic violence please seek assistance by contacting the Maple Grove Police Department (763-494-6100), Cornerstone Advocacy Services (952-884-0376), or the Minnesota Day One Crisis Hotline (1-866-223-1111), for immediate police response please call 9-1-1.
By Human Resources
Applying for a job with the City of Maple Grove? Are you having trouble successfully submitting your application? The Human Resources Department has several resources to help you out through the Current Job Openings link on the City website. If you are applying for a position with us, be sure to read the Online Employment Application Guide, which provides step-by-step instructions to help you through the application process and answers many of your questions. Incorrect or blank areas in your job application may disqualify you from the position you are applying for so please be sure to complete the application in its entirety.
Here are a couple of things to remember when applying for a job with the City of Maple Grove:
1. Initially, you will create a username and password – please remember this since you will log in to your account with this information each time you need to check the status of your application or you receive an email from HR to schedule an interview online. If you’ve created a NeoGov account by applying with another city or county, you will use your previous account information. Please be sure you edit and update your basic information before you submit an application to us.
2. Fill out your individual information and be sure to save your application frequently. You now have created your contact information.
3. To apply for a specific job posting, you will click on the job title of the position you are interested in, then click on the ‘Apply’ link. You will then login with your applicant username and password.
4. You will then be guided through a series of sections including agency-wide questions and supplemental questions before reaching the ‘Confirm and Send Application’. Be sure to save your information frequently and answer all questions completely to be considered for the position.
5. You will be able to attach any documents including a cover letter and resume to your online application. If you are a veteran who is requesting Veteran’s Preference, please attach your DD214 to be considered for this preference.
If you have any questions during the application process, please review the ‘Online Employment Application Guide’ on the Current Job Openings page first. If you still have questions or problems, call the Human Resources Department at 763-494-6015.
Follow the link to read the 2014 Maple Grove Police Department Annual Report
2014 Maple Grove PD Annual Report – FINAL