Grab your cameras, Maple Grove, the 2022 annual photo contest is open!
The Maple Grove Moments Photography Contest recognizes and highlights the talent right here at home. Residents - share what Maple Grove means to you in pictures! Entries are accepted from June 1 through noon on July 12.
How to enter photos in the contest
Please review these important notes on the photo submission process:
- The contest is open to residents of Maple Grove, Minnesota, who submit their own photographs that have been taken in Maple Grove, Minnesota.
- Read the contest categories and descriptions below to ensure you submit the photo in the correct category. (If a photo is entered into the incorrect category, you will be notified and asked to resubmit.)
- All photographs must be in jpg or png format and at least 1mb in size.
- Keep photo caption/description to five words or less. Be creative!
- Participants under age 18 submit entries in the youth category only.
- A parent and youth using the same email when submitting photos causes confusion in the review process. If possible, please use two different email addresses.
- Photos that include promotional wording and/or logos, watermarks, or copyrights are not accepted.
Submit your photos
For those age 18 and over, use the links in the contest categories below to share three photographs per category (12 entries total). Participants under age 18 can submit up to 12 entries in the youth category only.
- Going Together: People - neighbors, friends, or family enjoying everyday things - chatting, playing, shopping, grilling, celebrating special occasions, weeding the garden, cutting the grass, taking a walk, shoveling snow, raking leaves, making home repairs
- Going Natural: Landscapes, trees, plants, flowers, weather, sky
- Going Wild: Animals, including pets - birds, insects, things with wings, critters, creatures, wildlife
- Going Places: Landmarks, buildings, streetscapes, events - examples include shopping areas, sporting events, art or craft shows, Main Street, Angel of Hope, Central Park, Farmers Market, Town Green, Chalkfest, etc.
- Youth: Photographers under age 18 can submit entries that pertain to any of the above categories
If your photo is entered into the incorrect category, you will be notified and asked to resubmit.
How will I know my photos are accepted?
Every photograph submitted goes through an approval process before it will display on the contest page. Please allow up to two business days for entry approval. Photos are reviewed M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Once you submit photos, they will show continuously as pending until they are reviewed. You will receive an email when the photos are approved/disapproved.
Contest entries are posted on the City of Maple Grove website after the contest closes. All are eligible to be featured in citywide communications. View 2021 contest entries.
How to vote for Viewer's Choice
Anyone can vote for "Viewer's Choice" contest entry. Use the contest category links above to view entries and vote for your favorite. One vote per day is permitted. Spread the word about voting with your family and friends!
How winning photos are chosen
Entries are judged on overall impact, subject matter, originality, technical skills, composition, and meeting the theme of the category. Judges also appreciate creative photo captions.
Monetary prizes are awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category as well as one prize for the “Viewer’s Choice” selection. Details at rules/judging below.
Winning entries are showcased at the government center, in the city winter newsletter, and on the city’s social media. View 2021 winning photos.
The City of Maple Grove is proud to partner with Prime Advertising and Design for the contest. Photos submitted may be used on our websites as well as in area-wide media such as city newsletter, social media, parks and recreation activity guide, and residents' guide. Please email with any contest questions.
Photo contest rules and judging
By submitting your photos in the Maple Grove moments photography contest, you agree to all of these rules and parameters.
- The contest is open to Maple Grove residents. All entries submitted must be your own work. (Employees and their family members of the City of Maple Grove, Prime Advertising and Design, Inc, as well as any contest judges and their family members are not eligible to enter.)
- Photographs must have been taken in Maple Grove, Minnesota. Photographs from all seasons are encouraged.
- Maple Grove residents can submit up to 12 of their own photos (up to 3 photos allowed per category). Participants under age 18 can submit up to 12 photo entries in the youth category only.
- All photographs must be a jpg or png and at least 1 MB in size.
- Photographs can be color or black and white. Minor digital enhancement is permitted, but images that have been significantly modified or appear unnatural will not be considered for judging.
- Photos that include logos, watermarks, or copyrights are not accepted.
- Photographs with inappropriate or obscene content are not accepted.
- Photos that were submitted in past Maple Grove Moments Photography Contests are not accepted.
- If there are identifiable people in the photograph and it was taken in a non-public space, it is the responsibility of the photographer to obtain permission to use the photograph.
- Once they are submitted, photographs/images become the property of the City of Maple Grove and Prime Advertising and Design, Inc. and both have all rights for usage.
- All photography submissions must be completed online and done so no later than noon on Tuesday, July 12, 2022.
- Entries are reviewed by a panel of judges selected by the City of Maple Grove.
- Photographs are judged on overall impact, originality, creativity, composition, photographic quality, technical skills, and how an image expresses the theme of the category.
- All decisions will be final, and judges reserve the right to recategorize or disqualify any entrant.
- There are a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize awarded in each of the categories. First prize winners receive $100 each, 2nd place receives $50 each, and 3rd place receives $25 each. The one photo receiving the highest number of votes overall in online voting is designated as the "Viewer's Choice" winner, and the photographer receives a $50 award.
- Prizes may not be awarded if no acceptable entries are received.
- Winners in each category will be notified by phone and email. Winning entries are published in the winter Maple Grove City Focus newsletter, displayed at the government center, and highlighted on the city's social media.