The Maple Grove moments photography contest is a great way to showcase our community! The 2023 contest closed on June 30 with:
- Almost 500 entries
- 135 residents participating
- Over 4,100 votes cast to select the "viewer's choice" entry
Many thanks to those who submitted photos as well as those who voted! You will start seeing contest photos in City of Maple Grove communications.
2023 contest winners
Judging of the photos has been completed. Entries are judged on overall impact, subject matter, originality, technical skills, composition, and meeting the theme of the category. Judges also appreciate creative photo captions.
Monetary prizes are awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category as well as one prize for the “Viewer’s Choice” photo -- the entry that garnered the most online votes.
Winning photographers are recognized at a Maple Grove City Council meeting. Their entries are showcased at the Government Center, on city social media, and in the winter newsletter.
The City of Maple Grove is proud to partner with Prime Advertising and Design for the contest. Photos submitted may be used on our websites as well as in area-wide media such as the City Focus newsletter, social media, parks and recreation activity guide, and the residents' guide.
View contest rules and more information on judging below.
- All photographs must be a .jpg and at least 1 MB in size.
- Photographs can be color or black and white. Minor digital enhancement is permitted, but images that have been significantly modified or appear unnatural will not be considered for judging.
- Photos that include logos, watermarks, or copyrights are not accepted.
- Photographs with inappropriate or obscene content are not accepted.
- Photos that were submitted in past Maple Grove Moments Photography Contests are not accepted.
- The contest is open to Maple Grove residents. All entries submitted must be your own work. (Employees and their family members of the City of Maple Grove, Prime Advertising and Design, Inc, as well as any contest judges and their family members are not eligible to enter.)
- Photographs must have been taken in Maple Grove, Minnesota. Photographs from all seasons are encouraged.
- If there are identifiable people in the photograph and it was taken in a non-public space, it is the responsibility of the photographer to obtain permission to use the photograph.
- Once they are submitted, photographs/images become the property of the City of Maple Grove and Prime Advertising and Design, Inc. and both have all rights for usage.
- All photography submissions must be completed online no later than June 30, 2023.
- Entries are reviewed by a panel of judges selected by the City of Maple Grove.
- Photographs are judged on overall impact, originality, creativity, composition, photographic quality, technical skills, and how an image expresses the theme of the category.
- All decisions will be final, and judges reserve the right to recategorize or disqualify any entrant.
- There are a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize awarded in each of the categories. First prize winners receive $100 each; 2nd place $50 each; and 3rd place $25 each. The one photo receiving the highest number of votes overall in online voting is designated as the Viewers Choice winner, and the photographer receives a $50 award.
- Prizes may not be awarded if no acceptable entries are received.
- Winners in each category will be notified by phone and/or email. Winning entries are published in the winter City Focus newsletter, displayed at the Government Center, and highlighted on the city's social media.