Election Day Registration Requirements

If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at your local polling location on Election Day. However, you are required to provide certain acceptable forms of identification to prove your eligibility when registering on Election Day.

To register at your polling place on Election Day, you must have one of the following to verify your residence:

  • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card or receipt for any of these containing a valid address in the precinct
  • A Tribal ID card that contains your name, address, photo, and signature in the precinct
  • A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
  • A notice of late registration that was sent to you from your county auditor
  • A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
  • An authorized employee of a residential facility where you reside who can confirm your address (the residential facility must provide a list of employees to election officials)
  • A valid student ID card including your photo, if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials

Alternatively, voters may register by a combination of  one photo ID from Column 1 and one type of bill from Column 2.

One Photo ID AND One Bill

Column 1

Approved photo ID's must contain the voter's name and photo.  It may contain the voter's old address or have no address.

Type of Photo IDs (may be expired)

  • Minnesota or another state's driver's license, learner's permit or state ID
  • Student ID from Minnesota secondary or post-secondary school
  • United States Passport
  • United States Military ID Card or Veteran ID Card
  • Tribal ID Card with name, signature, and photo

Column 2

Eligible original bills (delivered by U.S. Mail or electronically), including account statements and start of service notifications dated or due date is 30 days before election. Must contain current name and address in the precinct.

Types of Bills (delivered electronically or by mail)

  • Natural gas
  • Telephone or cell phone
  • TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
  • Water/sewer
  • Electric
  • Garbage/solid waste
  • Internet services
  • Current student fee statement
  • Residential lease or rental agreement if valid through Election Day
  • Credit card or banking services