Who should apply for the homestead classification?
The homestead classification applies to properties occupied as primary residences by their owners. Classification as a homestead may qualify the property for a reduced classification rate, reduced taxable market value, property tax refund, and/or special program eligibility.
When should I apply for the homestead classification?
After purchasing and moving into a new home, you should apply for homestead as soon as possible. You may apply for homestead at any time during the year.
If you move into the home by December 1 of the year and apply by December 15, you may qualify for taxes payable the next year. The critical dates related to the homestead classification may be found on the Annual Assessment Calendar.
How do I apply for the homestead classification?
There are three options available for residents to apply for the homestead classification:
- Apply in person at the Assessing Department located in the Maple Grove Government Center, 12800 Arbor Lakes Parkway North, Maple Grove, MN 55369.
- Complete the Homestead Application (PDF) and submit the completed application by mail or fax to the Maple Grove Assessing Department.
- Apply online through the Hennepin County Website. When applying online you will need to create an “Online Services Account” with Hennepin County and a series of questions will guide you through the application process.
Please be prepared to provide the following information and additional documentation when filing for the homestead classification:
- Copy of the warranty deed or contract for deed. (If property is sold on a contract for deed, a certificate of real estate value must accompany application.)
- Copy of the Certificate of Real Estate Value.
- Signatures of all owner occupants. (Signatures of owners and occupying relatives are required in the case of a relative homestead.)
- Social security numbers for all individuals listed on the deed. (A social security number would also be required for a spouse that is not listed on the deed but occupies the property as well.)
If you have any questions about these requirements, please contact the Assessing Department.
Mail completed homestead applications and additional documentation to:
City of Maple Grove
12800 Arbor Lakes Pkwy N
Maple Grove, MN 55369-7064
Fax completed homestead applications and additional documentation to: (763) 494-6415