Maple Grove Fire Explorers - Post 3777
Who We Are:
Fire Exploring is a job-shadowing program through the Boy Scouts of America/Learning for Life for youths ages 15 to 21 who wish to learn more about the fire service. Explorer Post 3777 is operated by the Maple Grove Fire Department and has been in existence since 1977, two years after the fire department was established. Fire Explorers are an integral part of Maple Grove Fire-Rescue. A program priority is to recruit eligible explorers for the fire department to be paid on-call firefighters. Currently, our 110-member department boasts twelve former Explorers on the roster, including a chief officer.
What We Do:
Emphasis at meetings include a modified Firefighter I course. In addition to becoming CPR or EMR certified, Explorers also have the opportunity to attend Hazardous Materials training. Following orientation and a probationary period, Explorers may take a competency exam which enables them to attend regular fire department training sessions at their assigned fire station. At this point, the Explorer gains familiarity with their station crew and apparatus. Following a practical exam, they are issued a pager and can respond to emergency incidents with their assigned station and acquire valuable field experience.
When We Meet:
Fire Explorer meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month, with the exception of holidays and special events.
On the 25th of August 2017 our Maple Grove Explorer Post competed at the Governor's Fire Prevention Day competition at the Minnesota State Fair. Post #3777 placed 3rd out of 29 teams. Explorers from Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin performed in 8 different events including CPR & AED, combat relay, spinal immobilization, room search with rescue, ladder raise, Firefighter I written test, gear donning and a public education presentation in fire prevention. Each of these events is individually scored and the combined scores are then tallied allowing a ranking from the whole competition. The Explorers did fantastic in these events, some of which they achieved perfect scores in.
One Maple Grove Explorer also placed 3rd in gear donning out of all the Explorers present, with a time of 48 seconds, firefighters are required to do this in under 2 minutes.
Maple Grove's Explorer post has two members who are currently working through the hiring process for the Maple Grove Fire Department. Both of these Explorers were able to train with the fire academy organized by the MGFD to become state certified as firefighters.
- Classroom training in Firefighter I and II, First Responder, Hazmat Ops.
- Hands-on and tactical training to enhance skills.
- Attend regular Fire Department training (2nd & 3rd Wednesday each month).
- Respond to fire calls with assigned station.
- Assist with other department events such as Open Houses and Maple Grove Days.
- Participate in competitions/training events with other Explorer posts.
- Potential to be accepted into the fire academy as an Explorer.
- Potential to be certified as an EMR through the Fire Department.
- Great learning experience and insight into the fire service.
- Offers a chance for community involvement and volunteer opportunities.
- Build lasting friendships in a wide group dynamic.
- Potential recommendation from Advisors to apply for the Fire Department at age 18.
- The program is free to enroll in and quarterly dues can be paid for through fundraising.