I-94 between Maple Grove and Clearwater is undergoing three years of improvements and upgrades along a 39-mile stretch of road. MnDOT is adding travel lanes, rebuilding bridges, constructing access lanes, improving drainage, adding an interchange, and resurfacing deteriorating pavement. When complete, motorists will experience improved safety, a smoother road surface, better commercial access for freight and business, and less vehicle congestion.
The I-94 Maple Grove to Rogers project is one of three MnDOT projects along I-94 over the next two years:
- 9 miles between Maple Grove and Rogers
- 6 miles between St. Michael and Albertville
- 15 miles between Monticello and Clearwater
Work for the I-94 Maple Grove to Rogers segment includes:
- Reconstruct nine miles of I-94 between Maple Grove and Rogers
- Add a lane on I-94 in both directions between Hwy 610 in Maple Grove and Hwy 101 in Rogers (total of four each way)
- Build new interchange southeast of Brockton Lane (in Dayton)
- Construction of four noise walls in Maple Grove
- Additional truck parking at Elm Creek Rest Area
Key milestones for the Maple Grove to Rogers segment during the 2020 construction season (Dates are tentative and weather dependent):
- Temporary off-peak shoulder and lane closures. These closures are needed to construct temporary pavement for crossovers and pull-offs.
- The Elm Creek Rest Area will be closed late April through November 1.
- Eastbound traffic will be shifted to the westbound side of I-94 starting May 1. Three lanes of traffic on I-94 will be maintained in each direction during construction.
- Eastbound I-94 on and off ramps at Maple Grove Parkway will be closed for approximately six weeks starting May 1. Access to and from I-94 westbound at the Maple Grove Parkway interchange will be maintained.
- Eastbound I-94 off ramp at Weaver Lake Road will be closed for approximately four weeks starting in early June. Access to all remaining I-94 ramps at the Weaver Lake Road interchange will be maintained.
- Eastbound I-94 on ramp at Weaver Lake Road will be closed for approximately six weeks starting in late August. Access to all remaining I-94 ramps at the Weaver Lake Road interchange will be maintained.
View summary of work, schedule, cost, area map, location, benefits and project layout on the MnDOT website.
If you have any questions about this project, please contact the Maple Grove Engineering Department at 763-494-6350.